0x80004005 error in Microsoft Visual Studio, usually occurs while trying to start a new project or make a web service.
It might happen in all recent versions of Visual Studio, including 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017.
Although there might be a few different reasons for this situation, the problem most commonly originates from corrupted installation of IIS (Internet Information Services).
If you’re experiencing this error under entirely different circumstances, click HERE to see the list of all possible scenarios including 0x80004005 error code.
Common descriptions for Visual Studio 0x80004005 error:
- Unable to start debugging on the web server. Operation not supported. Unknown error: 0x80004005
- Unspecified error (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_FAIL))
- A fatal error has occurred trying to apply code changes and debugging needs to be terminated. Operation not supported. Unknown error: 0x80004005.’
- The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
- An error (-5006 : 0x80004005) has occured while running the setup
- Error at Combined Job [Get data]: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_OLEDBERROR. An OLE DB error has occured. Error code: 0x80004005
- Exception from HRESULT: 0xc020801C, Error at Loadstock [Connection manager “Excel Connection Manager”]: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_OLEDBERROR.
How to fix 0x80004005 unspecified error in Microsoft Visual Studio?
Depending of the source of 0x80004005 error, the different action is required to solve the problem. According to numerous user experience all across the internet, these are the most effective methods on how fix 0x80004005 error in Visual Studio:
Method 1: Reinstall or repair the IIS (Internet Information Services)
Download the installation from official Microsoft download page and do a REPAIR or even better, uninstall the IIS completely and try installing it again. Before doing anything, make sure to delete folder containing IIS configuration files located in:
Method 2: Try running Microsoft Visual Studio as administrator
As simple as it sounds, this has been proven as solution for 0x80004005 error in Microsoft Visual Studio, for a number of cases. Just right click on Visual Studio icon and choose “Run as administrator“.
Method 3: Try launching VS IDE in safe mode and restore default settings
As Microsoft claims, this is one of the best methods to try when solving any kind of problems with Visual Studio. Just open the Visual Studio command line and execute these commands:
Method 4: Check if all files included in your Visual Studio project are available
If 0x80004005 error occurs when opening a saved project, there’s a big chance that some project files were deleted, renamed or are currently not available.
Method 5: Make sure your VS project is compatible with installed version of Visual Studio
If 0x80004005 error may also occur if you are trying to load a project created with newer version of Visual Studio, then you have installed.