Also referred as “Unknown error 0x80004005” or “unspecified error” this is a very common problem in Windows OS, possible to happen with Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
Error Code 0x80004005 may sometimes be very difficult to address and solve, but there are several common procedures proved to be very effective in fixing this.
In the rest of this multi-page article, we will try do describe and clarify every each of them.
Most common descriptions for 0x80004005 error
- Unspecified error, Error code=0x80004005; Error source=Groove
- The module was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80004005
- Task ‘SharePoint’ reported error (0x80004005) : ‘An error occured either in Outlook or SharePoint. ‘
- Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. Error code: 0x80004005 Unspecified error
- An error (-5006 : 0x80004005) has occured while running the setup
- Cannot enable shared access. Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error
- Failed to open a session for the virtual machine. Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
- Windows could not determine the language to use for Setup. Error code: 0x80004005
- Task Sequence: Image Capture Wizard has failed with the error code (0x80004005)
- Windows could not start the service on Local Computer. Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error
- Video capture terminated unexpectedly. The video recorder returned error 0x80004005
- An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error
- Windows could not search for new updates. An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Error 0x80004005
- Program has stopped working. Windows can check online for a solution to the problem. Error details: 0x80004005
- There are too many devices syncing with this account. Error Code: 0x80004005
- The Sequence: Win7_SP1_Ent_64 Reference Deployment has failed with the error code (0x80004005)
- There were problems installing some updates, but we’ll try again later. Error 0x80004005
- Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3087040) – Error 0x80004005
- Failed to create the VirtualBoxClient COM object. The application will now terminate. Error 0x80004005
- Unable to start debugging on the web server. Operation not supported. Unknown error 0x80004005
- The following exception was thrown trying to publish: Unspecified error (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_FAIL))
- Program needs to close because of a hardware or configuration problem. Error Description: Unspecified error. HRESULT: 0x80004005
- Unable to bind to port . ErrorCode: 10106. System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005)
- Could not start the service on Local Computer. Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error
- Windows Update Standalone Installer. Installer encountered an error: 0x80004005
How and when 0x80004005 error happens?
There are dozens of Windows applications which may be giving you 0x80004005, as well as the Windows itself, while you’re trying to perform some basic operations such as copy/move files, access zipped folders, open shared drives/folders, update Windows or install new programs.
How to fix 0x80004005 error?
Due to the various situation which may lead to 0x80004005 unspecified / unknown error, there’s no universal / quickfix solution for this problem.
According to the numerous articles all across the Internet, there are 7 most common scenarios involving 0x80004005 error. Select yours and you’ll be redirected to step-by-step tutorial page with detail instructions provided:
0x80004005 error while copying/moving/renaming or deleting files or folders in Windows
0x80004005 error while accessing shared drive/folder or some network locations
0x80004005 error while trying to access/extract some zipped folders in Windows
0x80004005 error while opening or starting a new project in Microsoft Visual Studio
0x80004005 error while sending and/or receiving emails in Microsoft Outlook
0x80004005 error while trying to run a virtual machine in Oracle VM VirtualBox
0x80004005 error while installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)