Have you ever wondered why Apple didn’t design their OEM ipod/iphone earphones to feature silicone in-ear tips? Loud volume, nice bass boost, clear sound, high quality cables, and NO IN-EAR TIPS…
The end result is pretty useless high quality earphones. I said useless because they keep dropping from the ears every time you move or pull the cables. Even the slightest head movement will dislocate the poorly shaped earbud and more then 50% of precious sound will be wasted all around the ear canal. Not to mention a hard rubber edge that will cause ear pain and discomfort after only one hour of listening.
Ok, lets see what can be done to solve this problem…
You can buy premium Apple In-ear headphones or their famous “Earpods” and waste $30 or more. Or you can follow this tutorial and modify your classic iPod earphones to add a small plastic part which holds silicone in-ear tip. The end result is surprisingly good! No more dropping during movements, no more ear-pain and discomfort and the most important improvement is much better sound quality! Volume is much higher, so high that you will have to reduce it significantly on your player. Bass boost is at least 100% stronger and deeper! Here is how it looks:
Pretty nice, don’t you think? The whole process shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes. Here’s what you need:
– Cheap Chinese copy of Beats by Dr. Dre headphones (can be found under $5 on eBay)
– Loctite or equivalent super glue. I recommend Loctite Super Bond Gel.
– Scalpel or some other razor sharp blade
1. Gently take off silicon tips from Dr. Dre headhones
2. Use scalpel to remove upper caps (tip holders)
3. Apply some super glue to the edge of earbud’s mesh surface, and around the edge of plastic cap
4. Apply strong pressure on the plastic cap and hold it for 2 minutes, than put on a silicone tip
Thats it! Enjoy your new headphones!
Attach In-Ear Tips to OEM iPod/iPhone Headphones
iPod Headphones With Custom Silicon Tips
How To Install Silicone Caps On iPod Headphones
Rubber Tips For iPod Headphones
iPhone Headphones Silicone Cups
Convert OEM iPod Headphones To Earpods
Apple Headphones Modification
Modify iPod Headphones To Feature Silicon Tips
How To Put Rubber Cups On iPod Headphones